The coast guard keeps an eye on the sea

Coast guard

Can I organize a jetski, powerboat or similar race or competition at sea?

For watersports activities in group, it is advised to contact the Federal Public Service (FPS) Mobility and Transport to see whether a permit has to be obtained.  

In case the race has a publicitary or commercial nature, you should ask permission from the Directorate-General (DG) Environment, which supervises the regulation for the protection of the marine environment.

In case the race does not have a publicitary or commercial nature, it is not necessary to ask permission from DG Environment, but it is still advisable to contact them and see if the outlined route does not cross a special zone for nature preservation zone or bird protection zone .

Permissions should be requested well in advance.

DG Environment: Steven Vandenborre - 0032 (0)2/524 96 29 -
FPS Mobility and Transport:  

Faq type: 
Rules at sea